HIGH SPEED STEEL COMPOSITION AND USES
High speed steel (HSS) is a type of steel that is commonly used to manufacture cutting tools, drill bits and saw blades.
The main advantage of HSS is that it does not lose it's hardness at higher temperatures and therefore can be used to cut
at higher speeds than the high carbon steels used in the past, hence the term High Speed Steel (HSS).
Cutting tools made from high speed steel will operate to temperatures of approximately 700°C, much higher than that of high carbon steel which soften at around 220°C. Whether they are Molybdenum grade or Tungsten grade, all High Speed Steels possess similar characteristics.
- They all possess a high-alloy content.
- Generally they contain enough carbon to enable hardening to 64 HRC.
- When commercially hardened, the hardness will be uniform from the surface to the centre.
- They are all hardened at high temperatures, and can be cooled in still air and still virtually reach the maximum potential hardness.
- HSS has a high wear resistance.
- They are able to retain hardness at high temperatures.
HIGH SPEED STEEL COMPOSITION TABLE
|STEEL TYPE||-------------------------- COMPOSITION % -----------------------------||TYPICAL USES|
|(Hover for detail)||C||Si||Mn||P||S||Cr||Mo||V||W||Co||Ni|
|M-2||0.78||0.20||0.20||0.35||0.35||3.75||4.50||1.60||5.50||-||-||Taps, twist drills, reamers, milling cutters, saws.|
|M-3||0.90||0.20||0.20||0.35||0.35||4.12||5||1.95||6.37||4.9||0.30||Taps, twist drills, reamers, milling cutters, saws.|
|M-42||1.10||0.50||0.25||0.35||0.35||3.87||9.50||1.15||1.50||8.25||-||Milling cutters, twist drills, taps,broaching tools.|
|T-1||0.70||0.30||0.30||-||-||4.10||-||1.10||18.0||-||-||Turning tools, taps, dies, reamers.|
|T-4||0.75||0.30||0.30||-||-||4.10||0.90||1.00||18.0||5.00||-||Turning and milling roughing tools.|
|T-5||0.80||0.30||0.30||-||-||4.10||0.90||2.10||18.25||8.00||-||Turning and milling roughing tools.|
|T-42||1.30||0.20||0.20||0.35||0.35||4.10||3.10||3.00||9.00||9.50||0.20||Turning and milling tools, twist drills, taps.|